Preparing for Your Surgery, Test or Procedure
- At least one week before your surgery, ask your surgeon to complete your health history and physical exam. You may need to visit your primary care physician to clear you for surgery.
- Surgery schedules are subject to time changes. You will be notified a day prior your surgery of any changes. Our goal is to keep you informed.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight (12 a.m.) the night before your surgery, test or procedure unless otherwise instructed. This includes mouthwash, coffee, water, hard candy and chewing gum.
- If you have had something to eat or drink, please inform us.
- Drink plenty of fluids before midnight the night before your surgery to make sure you are hydrated.
- Do not shave before surgery. This helps prevent infection at the surgery site of surgery.
- To avoid post-operative infections, we will give you an antimicrobial wipe, wash, or sponge (depending on surgery type) to apply to the surgical site prior to your surgery. You will receive the antimicrobial skin preparation product during your pre-admission testing appointment at the hospital.
At the San Mateo Campus ONLY you can also pick it up from the hospital valet at your convenience if you do pre-admission testing by phone. The valet is open Monday thru Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
- You are strongly encouraged not to smoke or drink alcohol for 24 hours before your surgery, test or procedure.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after your surgery, test or procedure. Note: you may not go home alone in a taxi or on public transportation.
- Arrange for someone to stay with you at home on the night of your surgery, test or procedure.
- If you have children in your care, arrange babysitting for at least 24 hours after your return home.
- Please leave all valuables at home. We recommend not wearing makeup or nail polish the day of your procedure.
- there are any changes in your health condition, such as fever or cold.
- You have had an infection recently.
- You are pregnant or may be pregnant.