A Matter of Balance
Managing Concerns About Falls
1501 Trousdale Drive
Burlingame, CA 94010
This award winning* program is designed to reduce the fear of falling and increase the activity levels of older adults who have concerns about falls.
This program utilizes volunteer coaches to teach the eight two-hour sessions.
For more information about A Matter of Balance, please call 650-696-4310.
- 2006 Healthcare and Aging Award
American Society on Aging
- 2006 Innovations and Achievements Award
National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
There is a pre-class assessment by appointment on Thursday, September 1st or September 8th.
Classes begin on Thursday, September 15th, 10 a.m.—12 p.m. for 8 classes.
If interested, please call 650-696-4310 and sign up by September 6th.
Classes are free but require a commitment to attend all sessions.
Classes Help Participants Learn to:
- view falls and fear of falling as controllable
- set realistic goals for increasing activity
- change their environment to reduce fall risk factors
- promote exercise to increase strength and balance
Designed to Benefit Community-Dwelling Older Adults Who:
- are concerned about falls
- have sustained a fall in the past
- restrict activities because of concerns about falling
- are interested in improving flexibility, balance and strength
- are age 60 or older, ambulatory and able to problem-solve
Here's what participants say about A Matter of Balance:
"I am already noticing a difference in my physical being. I plan to continue these exercises. Hopefully I'll be jumping over the moon soon."
"I seem to be more aware of every situation for my safety. I now 'stop, look and listen' to my surroundings."
A Matter of Balance Outcomes at 6 Months
- 97% are more comfortable talking about fear of falling
- 97% feel comfortable increasing activity
- 99% plan to continue exercising
- 98% would recommend A Matter of Balance
- Falls Efficacy
- Falls Management
- Falls Control
- Exercise Level
- Monthly Falls
A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls Volunteer Lay Leader Model ©2006. This program is based on Fear of Falling: A Matter of Balance. Copyright ©1995 Trustees of Boston University. All rights reserved. Used and adapted by permission of Boston University.
Back to top