The Night Before Surgery and Day of Joint Replacement Surgery
Advanced Joint Care
& Replacement Center
Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
1501 Trousdale Drive
4th Floor East
Burlingame, CA 94010
Google Map to Medical Center
The night before surgery:
- Confirm your transportation to and from the hospital. You may not go home alone in a taxi or on public transportation.
- Do NOT eat or drink after midnight. You can eat a normal dinner earlier in the evening.
- Shower with antiseptic sponges provided by your preadmission nurse. Germs always live on your skin, but you want to reduce bacterial before surgery. Do not shave before surgery. This helps prevent infection at the site of surgery.
- Brush your teeth as usual. Do not put dentures or partials back in your mouth after you have brushed.
- Remove all jewelry, makeup and nail polish. Please leave jewelry and valuables at home.
The day of surgery:
- Shower in the morning, again using the antiseptic sponges you were given by the preadmission nurse. Don’t use hairspray, hair gel, deodorant or makeup. Do not shave.
- Brush your teeth and rinse, but do not swallow any liquid.
- Take any medication you were instructed to take with
just a SIP of water.
- Do not wear contacts. Bring a case for your glasses.