Exercise Tips After Your Joint Replacement
Advanced Joint Care
& Replacement Center
Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
1501 Trousdale Drive
4th Floor East
Burlingame, CA 94010
Google Map to Medical Center
Exercise is important for your general physical and mental health. The purpose of joint replacement surgery is to return you to an active and healthy lifestyle.
It's crucial to do the prescribed exercises recommended by your physical therapist at the Advanced Joint Care & Replacement Center. This is one of the most important things you can do to speed your recovery.
- Walk as much as you like once your doctor says it's ok.
- Swimming is another very beneficial exercise. You can swim as soon as your wound has healed and you are cleared by your doctor. This is usually six to eight weeks after surgery.
- Golfing, dancing and bicycling on paved surfaces are
ok to do with your doctor's permission.
- Avoid high-impact exercises such as running and contact sports. Talk to your doctor before you resume these activities.
- Avoid carrying heavy objects, especially up stairs or hills.