Checklist: Before Your Joint Replacement Surgery
Advanced Joint Care
& Replacement Center
Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
1501 Trousdale Drive
4th Floor East
Burlingame, CA 94010
Google Map to Medical Center
Planning ahead ensures the best possible recovery. Check off the items on this list to make sure you’re ready.
- ____ Check with your surgeon: About the medicines you are taking now. You may need to stop taking non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and any drugs that contain aspirin, one week before surgery. Also tell your surgeon about any vitamins, supplements, herbs or over-the-counter medicines you take.
- ____ Preadmission testing appointment. Staff should contact you to set up preadmission tests a few weeks before surgery. Call (650) 696-5373 if you have not been contacted. For your preadmission appointment be sure to have your health insurance information ready. A nurse will take your health history, answer your questions and explain what tests may be necessary before surgery. If you have an Advanced Directive, bring a copy to the hospital for your record.
- ____ Register for Total Joint Replacement Class: All patients and their family/caregivers should attend this free, 90 minute class to help you become a well
informed and have the best possible recovery and outcome from your surgery. Call (650) 696-5804.
- ____ Get a dental exam: Have any needed dental work done before surgery. After your joint replacement, you may need to take antibiotics before getting any dental work.
- ____ Arrange to have a friend, relative or home health care worker help you during the first few days/weeks at home. You will need help dressing, showering and making meals.
- ____ Eat a healthy diet.
- ____ Quit smoking: Speak with your doctor about quitting smoking, or call (800) NO-BUTTS ((800) 662-8887).
- ____ Start doing strengthening exercises (both legs): You'll recover faster if you are familiar with these hip exercises and knee exercises, and any others recommended by your surgeon.