Prepare Your Home Before Joint Replacement Surgery
Advanced Joint Care
& Replacement Center
Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
1501 Trousdale Drive
4th Floor East
Burlingame, CA 94010
Google Map to Medical Center
- Before you go to the hospital, do your grocery shopping, prepare and freeze meals, and put cooking utensils where they are easy to reach. Make simple meals that will be ready for you when you get home.
- Move furniture to make a clear path to your kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. Many patients use a walker or a cane after leaving the hospital. This means you need more room to move around your home.
- Remove rugs so you do not trip.
- You need a firm chair that has armrests to use after surgery. You should not sit in a chair that rocks, rolls, or swivels.
- Place a non-skid bath mat in your tub or shower.
- For convenience, place items that you use every day at arm level (between your waist and shoulders). You
want to avoid having to bend down or reach up too much.
- If your bed is lower than your knees, you may need to raise it after hip surgery. Have extra pillows available
for appropriate positioning.
- Make plans for someone to help you with housework, laundry, pet care, and driving to appointments for
several weeks after surgery.