About Mills-Peninsula Weight Loss Program
The Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery Program at Mills-Peninsula is a multidisciplinary surgical program designed for the comprehensive management of patients who are severely obese. Obesity is a growing national health problem that can significantly contribute to the development of multiple issues such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, arthritis and sleep apnea. Surgery for obesity can play a role in long-term, persistent weight loss and can improve obesity-related medical problems. Together with lifelong lifestyle changes, including diet and exercise, patients can achieve long-term weight control and a healthier lifestyle.
The decision to have bariatric (weight loss) surgery involves significant life changes. According to the American Society for Bariatric Surgery, long-term success depends not just on the surgical procedure, but also on availability of services that support you in making permanent changes in diet, fitness and emotional well-being.
That's why Mills-Peninsula's program provides not only surgery, but a complete package of services that focus professional expertise on helping you achieve the best long-term benefit – sustained weight loss for life. Our program includes expert nutrition counseling, a menu of fitness choices, behavioral health support and a monthly support group. About 75 percent of our patients achieve weight loss of 40 to 50 percent of their total pre-operative weight within 18 to 24 months after surgery.
Mills-Peninsula's Program includes:
- The most advanced bariatric surgery procedures available
- Individualized care coordination throughout the program by a registered nurse program specialist
- Nutrition counseling and education
- Monthly patient support groups, workshops and classes to support long-term success
- Personal exercise program developed by an exercise physiologist, including options such as aquatic exercise (additional fee)
- Individual psychological therapy, if needed