Precautions for Preventing Hip Dislocation
Although your new artificial hip will feel and perform like a normal hip after rehabilitation, it is still an artificial device and may dislocate if placed in an awkward position.
Hip dislocation is uncomfortable and requires immediate medical attention at a hospital.
For both hip replacement and hip resurfacing you must follow these precautions when moving your new hip:
- Do not bend your hip beyond a 90 degree angle.
- Do not bring the knee of your operated leg above your waist.
- Do not cross your legs while sitting.
- Never cross the knee of the operated leg over the knee of the non-operated leg.
- Do not bring the operated leg across the midline of your body.
- Do not bend forward at the hip while sitting in a chair.
- Do not pick items off of the ground from a sitting position.