Sutter Health Perioperative Nurse Training Initiative
Sutter Health will be greatly impacted by a shortage in the perioperative nursing work force throughout the entire system. The goal of the Perioperative Nurse Training Initiative is to develop a model, curriculum training program for perioperative nursing to ensure patient safety and quality in the surgical environment and to meet the future health care needs of patients across the Sutter Health network. Hear from participants of the program.
In the first three years of the initiative the program aims to:
- Review and revise current training program curriculum for perioperative nursing to ensure proficiency and efficiency goals are met for Sutter affiliates
- Develop evidence-based tools for assessing (testing) competencies in various skill areas needed in a perioperative nursing environment; Use these tools to communicate with local universities for external program development as an opportunity for future sustainability
- Conduct an evaluation to assess how the model training program will impact patient quality, cost to train nurses, increase physician satisfaction and improve nursing competencies upon graduation
- Conduct a comparison study to assess proficiency of new nurse graduates versus highly trained nurses completing the program
- Train and evaluate 120 perioperative nurses over two years
To find out more about the Perioperative Nurse Training Program and ways in which you can support it, please contact Lauri Medeiros, Regional Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, at email@example.com or 650-696-7857.
Make a donation to the Perioperative Nurse Training Program